After media presence started in the imperial town in 1802, the program of events of the Children’s Festival remained almost unchanged. The children sung songs together in the market square – before and after the celebratory church services – followed in the afternoon by the school children’s procession accompanied by music from the school years, later from Hallhof to the Reichshain. Here, different games were played under the teachers’ supervision. During the Second World War, the Children’s Festival was cancelled due to the scarcity of staffing, but also because of the shortage of food, sweets and clothing.
The Children’s Festival took place again for the first time in 1946; due to the economic situation, it was only possible for it to take place every year as of 1949. The incentive for the resurrection of the Children’s Festival came from the town councillor of the time Ernst-Wilhelm Hermann in collaboration with some teachers. In 1950 he wrote the text for the first Children’s Festival song which was then repeated every year (melody by Fridolin Schropp). A subsequent Children’s Festival song “Round dance on the green lawn” (lyrics by Sepp Skalitzky, melody by Adalbert Meier) was performed for the first time in 1969. The collection of songs was supplemented by the “Wake-up call” (lyrics and melody by Adalbert Meier) in 1975.
The Children’s Festival and Fisher Day have taken place in the week before the start of the summer holidays since 1955. An important factor for the Children’s Festival being continued was extensive reform in 1974 lead by the then chairman of the Children’s Festival committee, Herbert Müller. The basic idea of the Children’s Festival was to “praise” the pupils and this has been maintained for four centuries and is the central point of the festival which delights tens of thousands every year.
Werner Habereder / Christoph Engelhard: Das Memminger Kinderfest.
Geschichte und Tradition, Memmingen 1998 (available in Memmingen Municipal Archive)