Memmingen has a multifaceted array of museums to offer to its citizens and visitors. Different buildings and collections invite you to form an impression of urban history and fine arts, of culture and artists to people and their life in this town.
The tradition of museums in Memmingen goes back to the founding of the antiquarian society, which was later to become the local history society e.V., in 1885. The local history collection used to be housed in the town hall and in 1908 it was then moved to the guild house in the market square. A municipal art collection was presented for the first time on the premises of the Kreuzherrn monastery in Hallhof during the Weimar period. Both collections were moved to the municipal museum in Hermansbau in 1936. Both the content of the art historical and cultural heritage collection and the way in which it is presented has changed. Alongside the municipal museum, the Freudenthal local history museum was started in the same building, the Strigel museum and Antoniter museum in Antonierhaus in 1996 followed by the Mewo art gallery in the Old Post Office building in 2005.
The special feature of Memmingen’s museums in the middle of the historical old town is that the buildings and collections match each other in an obvious way. The Antonierhaus, which was built in 1500, houses Late Gothic art, the baroque town palace of the Hermans, a patrician family, recounts the history of the imperial town and shows baroque and rococo art, the Old Post Office, which is a stately building from the period of promoterism, has presented 20th century art as the MeWo art gallery since 2005.